Problems starting Nagios

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Wed Jul 6 16:57:31 CEST 2005

Brand new to Nagios and have installed in on a test machine @ home and it
works great.  Using debian and used apt-get install nagios-mysql (as I wanted
MySQL support) to install and configure Nagios.

I have made the changes in cgi.cfg and resource.cfg to write to the database
and also created the database correctly through create_mysql included in the
install.

Created my configs and verified that it works correctly through nagios -v
nagios.cfg and it returns no errors.

If I start nagios w/ nagios /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg in the log file it shows
Nagios starting.... however when I go to the webpage it shows up as the
monitoring process may not be running.

Also through /etc/init.d/nagios start in the log it shows nagios starting, but
same errror message in the web page.

If I do a /etc/init.d/nagios reload it says
 "Reloading nagios configuration files.
  Not running. "

Any help would be apprecaited