Scheduled Downtime

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Jul 4 11:30:36 CEST 2005

Sand Philipp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to schedule a downtime for an event in the past?

It wouldn't make much sense to do that, would it? Downtime reflects
KNOWN downtime. If you've forgotten to add it, it won't do much good.

> For
> example: in our SLAs we affirm a availability of 98%. But if there is
> a Router down because of let's say an Cisco IOS Bug, or something, we
> couldn't foreknow, this Downtime shouldn't affect our affirmed 98%.

You can hack the logfiles manually, I suppose.

> But because we couldn't foreknow this fault, we couldn't plan a
> scheduled downtime before. In cases like this it would be great to
> plan a scheduled downtime for the past.
>
> There has to be a possibility for doing that.  I know, that Nagios
> uses the archived Nagios logfiles to generate the availability
> reports. What do you have to modify in them to plan such a downtime?

RAFO (Read And Find Out).
Schedule downtime with some arbitrary message that you can grep for in
the logfiles. grep for it and find out what the syntax is. I've never
bothered with it myself.

> Has anyone already done something like this?

Probably not. It's a weird sort of thing to want to have. Better then to
have a paragraph in the report you send to your customers; "This many
hours (this many %) of the aforementioned downtime was caused by issues
out of our control, such as bugs in Cisco IOS".

If I were your customer, I'd tell you to go stuff it however. The reason
the SLA responsibility is never 100% is that things out of the providers
control sometimes happen. If you take those mishaps away, the only
downtime you can cause is when you've fucked up one way or another
(assuming you have some time for patches and upgrades which aren't
inside the hours you promise uptime for).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer