Exploding check commands batman ...

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Fri Jul 1 13:57:20 CEST 2005

Gavin Carr writes:

> Is this the way other people are doing it, or am I missing
> something obvious? Is this handled any differently in version
> 2.0?

There are several ways of doing it, but they're all rather clunky (IMHO).

I'd like to see something along the lines of:

 $USER1$/check_http ... $CONDARG4${-p $ARG4$}

along with the ability to have null arguments as in:

   check_http!a!b!c!!e

so that if the fourth argument is omitted then the "-p $ARG4$" is
dropped and you get the default http port whereas if you want a different
port then check_http!a!b!c!3192!e.

That still means a lot of extra stuff in your service checks.  So maybe
a better approach would be to allow argument over-riding.  Your template
would then have check_http!a!b!c!d!e where you specify all options
giving them their default values but in the specific service checks you
could have "command_arg4 3192".

I expect somebody can think of reasons why neither of the above could be
implemented and somebody else (or maybe the same person) can think of
a far better way of doing it.  I'm not attached to either of those
approaches, they are just first thoughts - if somebody has a better way
of doing it then that's great.  I'm not holding my breath though - if it
were a popular request and easy to implement then it would have gone into
Nagios ages ago.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support