Variable showing $ in email & pages?

Bill Akins Bill_Akins at emoryhealthcare.org
Fri Jan 28 01:53:12 CET 2005

Hi all,

I am running Nagios 2.0b1 on RedHat Enterprise 3 (kernel
2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp).

I have recently installed Nagios and have 99 hosts and almost 200
services defined and monitoring works great!  I am having a very minor
problem with alerting.  I get the messages by email and pager, but it
seems Nagios is passing the variable for datetime & output as an empty
and is catching the trailing $ as shown below:

***** Nagios  *****

Notification Type: RECOVERY

Service: MTA
Host: GroupWise Server 0
Address: AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD
State: OK

Date/Time: $

Additional Info:

$

The relevant sections of misccommands.cfg follow:

# 'notify-by-email' command definition
define command{
        command_name    notify-by-email
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
*****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
$SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $DATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$OUTPUT$"
| /bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$
is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
        }

# 'notify-by-epager' command definition
define command{
        command_name    notify-by-epager
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Service:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
$SERVICESTATE$\nInfo: $OUTPUT$\nDate: $DATETIME$" | /bin/mail -s
"$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTALIAS$: $SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$"
$CONTACTPAGER$
        }

Any clues on this one?  It's not a show-stopper since email and pages
have a time stamp, but I would like to have it working before I show the
boss what Nagios can do for us.

Thanx!