Monitor a host without ping

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Thu Jan 27 18:08:43 CET 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Chris de Vidal wrote:

> Software versions:
> Nagios 1.2.0 from Backports.org
> Debian Woody (3.0)
> Kernel 2.6.9
>
> Problem: Cannot monitor a host if I cannot ping it.
>
> Problem explained:
> I have a firewall that has pings disabled BUT I can access it via SSH on
> port 602.
>
> I tried this but it didn't work:
> define host{
>    use           our_generic-host
>    host_name     firewall
>    alias         firewall
>    address       123.456.789.0
>    check_command check_ssh!602
>    }
>
> The check_command is my own custom command:
> define command{
>    command_name    check_ssh
>    command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ssh -p $ARG1$ $HOSTADDRESS$
>    }
>
> This command works well, but only as the service for other machines but
> never works as the check_command for a host.
>
> Again, the command works just fine, just not as the check_command for a host.
>

> Ideas?

The check command for hosts does not support arguments like ARGx  - you
need to define a command with the port number hard coded in the command
definition. Or you can define the check as "raw" command with all the
options encoded in the check_command definition.

This restriction was removed in 2.0

--
-sg