host check scheduling

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Tue Jan 25 19:18:32 CET 2005

I'm confused about smart host check scheduling with the most recent nagios
2 from CVS. My understanding from the docs is that host checks only happen
if a service on the host returns a non-OK status. While this is working
well for most of my hosts, there are a couple dozen which have non-OK
services that have been checked within 5 minutes, and yet haven't had a
host check since friday.

Is my understanding of smart host check scheduling incorrect?