Resolving Host Names via DNS

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Jan 25 15:30:45 CET 2005

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> The Nagios server is currently using the /etc/hosts file to resolve hostnames to
> their ip addresses. The request has been made by my supervisors
> to have it resolve hosts via DNS. The order can be either /etc/hosts -> DNS or
> DNS -> /etc/hosts. What is the procedure for having DNS name
> resolution thrown into the mix?

None what so ever. The default setting for virtually any sane
distribution is (in /etc/host.conf or equivalent);
order hosts,bind
multi on
Meaning that /etc/hosts will take priority over DNS lookups (order
hosts,bind - DNS lookups won't be done in case an entry is found in
/etc/hosts), although DNS lookups will be made if none is found (multi on).

In general, it's desirable to keep /etc/hosts to a minimum (usually only
an entry for localhost), so as to keep hostname configuration
centralised through the ISC tools available for it.

If this is not the case for your system, you need to sit down and think
of a reason to keep it any other way.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer