Service Check Timed Out in nagios 2.0b1

Stephan Janosch stephan.janosch at interface-business.de
Mon Jan 24 14:02:44 CET 2005

Robert Drake wrote:
> I'm seeing alot of these for some reason.  Recently we got rid of all
> our slow service checks so we changed the interval from 20 minutes to 5.
>
> We've got 4600 services (4300 hosts).
>
> Currently we've got 42 hosts down, 4 unreachable.  We've got 64 service
> check failures (90% of those being Service Check Timed Out)
>
> The problem is that alot of these timeouts are false positives.  Even
> though it takes 2 seconds to check a host (even when down) nagios times
> them out.
>
> The box isn't overloaded, usually the load average is around 1.0.
>
> With that many service checks spread over 5 minutes you should see about
> 15-16 processes/sec running.  Instead it fluctuates up and down,
> sometimes you'll only see 2 sometimes you'll see 30.  It's running
> behind schedule too, which is weird.  It's always run behind schedule,
> but I don't understand why it can't make a schedule it can kind of
> match.
>
> Here's my nagios.cfg:

[snip]
Do you have checks via ssh? If yes, you can specify a special timeout
there. If check_by_ssh times out, it returns 2. If the check called by
check_by_ssh times out, check_by_ssh will return -1 (UNKNOWN).

 > service_reaper_frequency=1
 > sleep_time=0.25

I guess, these are the best values for you. So a modifaction would be
pointless, or? did you tried other combinations there? A
service_reaper_frequency of 5 and a sleed_time of 0.2 are not better, or?

Another idea: Your nagios user has enough resources? I don't know the
max number of processes of you OS. Perhaps there is a way to tune a bit?
bandwidth should be no problem....no more ideas. :-/