NSCA server bind failure

Richard Baker richard.baker at presence-systems.com
Fri Jan 21 17:16:52 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm using NSCA to submit passive checks to Nagios from the web via
srvcheck.cgi but am encountering difficulties.  srvcheck.cgi correctly
displays the return value of the check but the check is not submitted to
Nagios as a passive check.

On the return page from srvcheck.cgi I get "Error: Server closed
connection before init packet was received Error: Could not read init
packet from server" and in /var/log/messages I get: "Network server bind
failure (98: Address already in use)".  I have mapped port 5667 to nsca in
/etc/services and netstat -anp | grep 5667 reveals nothing else trying to
use that port.  The web page, cgi and NSCA are all on the same server as
nagios.  NSCA is running under xinetd.

Does anyone have any ideas what this error might be and how to fix it?  Or
is there another way of triggering a service check manually then
submitting the result to Nagios.  I'm looking for something that is
friendly to use.

Richard Baker
--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
confidential use of the above named recipient. If you are not the intended