check_ping unknown

Ovig Degrouard ovig.degrouard at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Jan 18 14:44:26 CET 2005

Schmitz, Carsten wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Please post your checkcommands.cfg entry on check_ping, too.

This is the lines about check_ping in checkcommands.cfg

# 'check_ping' command definition
define command{
    command_name    check_ping
    command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c
$ARG2$ -p 5
    }

>Are you using /bin/ping from checkcommands.cfg instead of the check_ping or check_icmp plugins? If yes, any specific reason?

I don't know which method I'm using to ping. I only know that service
detail print this message: Connectivity : UNKNOWN 01-18-2005 09:54:16 0d
20h 41m 39s 1/3 /bin/ping -n -U -w 10 -c 5 138.122.22.222

>I dunno, could be that the combination of -w 10 and -c 5 makes Nagios think there's a timeout before your ping command finishes? Did you try lower values? When you say the command works on the shell, did you do that as the same user that Nagios runs as?

I execute the command on a shell with root and I can ping. I don't
understand why Nagios couldn't give me the OK status.