multiple IPs for a host?

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:39:49 CET 2005

We are doing something similar at my company by defining a second
check_ping service check in the checkcommands.cfg
command_name check_ping2
command_line $USER1$/check_ping -H $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ -p 3

instead of just using check_ping with the $HostAddress$ it uses
whatever IP you pass to it.  From your description it sounds like you
do not want to modify your host IP, because your host would not be
down on a failed ping, the interface to the production network may be
down but not the host. (Host checks are only executed if a service
check fails so having the check in a host check only will not help if
all the services on the management network are in an OK state when the
production IP goes down)

The disadvantage of adding a second ping service check like this is
more typing and more prone for inconsistencies if things change on the
network.  However the advantage is you can have as many ping checks
registered to a single host as you want.
(Using this also assumes that your nagios server is also on both networks.)

Another alternative solution might be to have your production hosts do
a passive check ping to their router or firewall and send that result
to the nagios server to be monitored.

Good Luck
Tony