multiple IPs for a host?

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Mon Jan 17 17:08:44 CET 2005

Hi,

We have a production network and a management network, with all our
administrative traffic going over the management network and every
production server having at least two interfaces.

We don't want to have nagios only monitor across one of the networks
though, because then we run the risk (however minor) of a network
problem isolating all our servers from the outside world while
nagios happily reaches them over the management network and does not
warn us.

So, what I would like to do is have nagios ping the production IP
but do all the other service checks over the management IP.

Is it possible to define a host as having two addresses and have
nagios ping one but do service checks on the other?  Or will every
host need to be split into two hosts so that one of them can have
the production address and be set as parent for all the others?

Cheers,
Andy