daemon restart scripts

Eric Loyd loyd at cyber.kodak.com
Mon Jan 17 14:55:00 CET 2005

> Be cautious with the (future?) support for auto-adding hosts that have
> services that receive passive check results. Possibly nsca (or the
> web-user) can be fooled into executing commands on any host through
> the service restart thingie.

I think, maybe, you misunderstand.  (And we don't use nsca because of
firewalls - that's why we wrap in SSH).  The event_handler parameter is
set to something like "generic_restart.sh" for all services.  The
service_descriptions for all services are in a format that allows for
easy parsing to figure out what instance of what service (and maybe what
sub-instance) it refers to.  The generic_restart.sh script then figures
out whether it's hard or soft, what failure number it is, and (maybe)
takes action.

Action simply consists of trying to find a function within
generic_restart.sh called do_service.  It passes a bunch of arguments to
this service and the function determines what needs to be done.  This
does not mean that random code is sent - the function clearly defines
what steps need to be taken (kill -QUIT, /foo/bar/svc.stop, sleep 10,
/foo/bar/svc.start, send mail, whatever).  There is no auto-adding of
hosts.  There is no passing of code.  There is no passive check
results.  Since the Nagios machine is running active checks remotely via
SSH, only checks executed by Nagios are considered.

--
Eric Loyd
loyd at cyber.kodak.com