Network Discovery

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sun Jan 16 13:34:32 CET 2005

Steven Coutts wrote:
> Is there anyway for Nagios to do automatic network discovery?

man nmap
man grep
man sed

Something like this should work;
for ip in `nmap -sP -T Insane 192.168.0.1-254 | grep "appears to be up"
| gawk '{ print $2 }'`; do
	sed "s/@host@/$ip/" host.in >> hosts.cfg
done

Where host.in look something like this
define host{
    use default-host-template
    host_name @host at -name
    address @host@
    alias @host at -alias
}

Then, supposing you have some way of getting a
tab/comma/semi-colon/whatever separated list of hostnames, ip's and
descriptions (in field order), you can do
cat that_list | while read host_name ip alias; do
	sed -i -e "s/$ip-name/$host_name/" -e "s/$ip-alias/$alias/" hosts.cfg
done

Mind the line-breaks.

> Or do I have to manually have to type all my hosts in the hosts.cfg file?

Then add a service PING to all hosts, as such;
define service {
	use default-service
	service_description PING
	host_name *
	check_command check_ping!100.0,40%!500.0,80%
}

Delete the nodes you don't want to monitor, and keep fiddling a bit.

I suggest you then divide the hosts into various groups depending on
what you want to check on them and simply add a bunch of services to the
proper hostgroups. It will save you a lot of typing.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer