nagios 2.0b1

Robert Drake rdrake at stayonline.net
Fri Jan 14 03:08:09 CET 2005

Hey,

I'm running the CVS version and I've had a couple of weird problems
recently.

Some I think I've worked out (I'll find out tomorrow when I look at
whats down again) but in other cases I don't know whats causing it.

#1.  This one isn't a problem really, but just a question.  In the old
versions of nagios the daemon didn't have to be running for you to pull
status info.  It was usually a good idea to have it running, but if it
went down for a few minutes nobody would notice.

Now we get a message that says "Error: Could not read host and service
status information!"

Which is good, but what happens if you want to move the webpages to
another server?  It seems like people used to do that for better web
performance.  I was thinking about creating a 128Mb ramdrive on another
host and scp'ing the current data onto the webserver every 5 minutes.
Now I'm not sure that works anymore.

#2.  The second problem we're having is that every few minutes the
web cgi's will error out for some reason, showing the user an "Internal
server error" page.

Checking the apache logs shows this:

[Thu Jan 13 20:01:57 2005] [error] [client 63.173.114.141] Premature end
of script headers: /usr/local/nagios/sbin/status.cgi

I don't think this started happening until I started using the nagios-db
NEB module, but that may be coincidence since they shouldn't really be
related.

Please let me know if you want configs, or more information (I've been
tweaking performance stuff in the configs for the last few days trying
to get nagios to run on schedule, so things might be screwed up in there
anyway :)

Thanks,
Robert