What does "(Connection refused) " mean in the host status information?

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Thu Jan 13 02:28:39 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:13:16AM +1100, Lydia Leung wrote:

> I got some services alert as Connection refused for some hosts. But
> not all the services are having this refusion.
>
> What does that mean?

"Connection refused" is a standard error for connection-based
protocols, such as TCP.  It means the host is not accepting
connections for the specified port, i.e. no program or service
on the machine is listening on the port.

This can be caused by a problem such as the software that usually
accepts such connections no longer running, e.g. if the web server
or mail server or whatever has crashed - the machine itself is
still running, but the software providing the service has died.