Non-standard HTTP checking

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 12 21:43:34 CET 2005

Greg wrote:

1) We have an app server that responds to standard HTTP requests but returns
type Content-Type "application/octet-stream" (not valid HTML).  check_http
barfs on the output. I need something almost exactly like check_http but
will accept arbitrary output.  Any ideas on how do to this?

2) I have a web application that I want to monitor the log in process.  The
way it works is I POST credentials to a login web page, which then sets a
cookie, and sends me a redirect.  The redirected web page checks the cookie
and then displays some data.  check_http obviously does nothing with the
cookies, so that doesn't work.  I need something that will return the cookie
properly.  A lot of the web test script frameworks don't even appear to do
that.  Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

I replied...

1) You should be able to do this with check_http.  Just check the HTTP
response code rather than the content, it works correctly for me.

2) This is the sort of case that I wrote check_website to cope with -- where
you have to do a sequence of multiple GET or POST requests, coping with
redirects and cookies and parameters.  I am using it here to log in to a web
site, make a selection, and then log out.
Grab a beta copy from http://www.steveshipway.org/software in the Nagios
section, and let me know how you get on with it.  There are some example
config files included with it to show you how to configure a test script for
check_website to follow.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **