Big Brother migration to Nagios

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 12 21:46:47 CET 2005

Hello, everyone...

We are currently working to migrate some Big Brother monitored hosts to
Nagios.  To do this, in the interim, I can set up passive Services with a
freshness check that returns 'unknown', and then get the BigBrother status
notifications to go to Nagios instead.

What I need is a daemon, a bit like NSCA, that receives BigBrother
notifications on port 1984 and then sends the appropriate status change to
the Nagios command socket.

Has anyone written one of those yet, or should I go ahead and do it?

In the long term, we'll get pNSclient and NRPE on the hosts, but since those
are active checks and BB is passive it will require firewall changes ate
which is a long and tedious process.  In the interim, using the BB agent
with Nagios is the best way to go.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **