check jboss or tomcat are running

Schmitz, Carsten Carsten.Schmitz at aegon.com
Wed Jan 12 17:37:47 CET 2005

Hi,

> I was wondering how would I go about chekcing that JBoss or Tomcat or
> any other UNIX/Linux program are running using Nagios (ver 1.2)?

If JBoss and Tomcat display web pages (in my understanding they usually are) you can use check_http to check those.

If not, and they run on the same machine as Nagios, you could easily make your own plugin. A shell script that does something like "ps -ef | grep <process_name>", checks the return code of grep (different return code if lines found, or if no lines found, see "man grep") and does "exit 0" if process found, or "exit 2" if not works for me. You can also count the processes ( | wc -l  or such) and "exit 1" (warning) if the number of running procs seems not right.

Define your script in misccommands.cfg and thats it - your very own plugin.

All this applies to Nagios 1.2, dunno about 2.0 but should be similar. Also, there are probably existing plugins that do this. Also, when grepping in ps you might need to append an "| grep -v grep" cause on some systems I find the output sometimes includes the grep process itself.

If they run on a different machine, Google a bit, I'm sure someone has tried to check processes running on different machines with Nagios before. There might be a plugin or some sort.

Or, you could develop a way for your plugin to log into the remote machine and check the process there - ssh can be configured with its key mechanism to run from scripts without needing a password (like a trust relationship), and ssh can run commands on remote boxes this way.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Carsten Schmitz 					                  AEGON N.V.
System Administrator 				               AEGONplein 50
Group Information Management			            2591TV The Hague
				 			             The Netherlands
Phone: +31 (0)70 344 8308

   "Unix is not user unfriendly. It's just picky about its friends"

I was wondering how would I go about chekcing that JBoss or Tomcat or
any other UNIX/Linux program are running using Nagios (ver 1.2)?
Somehting to do with using NRPE? Sorry i'm a bit new to all this linux
stuff.

Thanx a alot.