Hostgroup Question

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Wed Jan 12 17:21:11 CET 2005

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> [...]

I use 'register 	0' in some hostgroup definitions in my
hostgroups.cfg file.
I do this for hostgroups that contain hosts that are already used in
other groups.
For instance, I have three geographic regions, which all have hosts
requiring check_icmp, and notifications to three different contact
groups. However, 90% of these hosts are BGP routers that require
check_bgp. Since I'm still using 1.2, which does not support exclusion
of particular hosts when configuring a service to check a hostgroup, I
created a new hostgroup containing only the BGP routers. I then set this
group up to be checked with check_bgp in services.cfg. In hostgroups.cfg
I give it a 'register	0', and it then does not appear in the cgis that
display hostgroups.

Someone else mentioned that this would not address a specific portion of
the original posters question. This is quite possible, as I may have
misunderstood their intent. Either way, you should now have a better
understanding of what I meant. I thought that this was 'common
knowledge', and well documented, but I may have been mistaken. I do
believe that I found this in the docs, and do not think it is a hack/bug
of some sort.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.273.5050 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)