Non-standard HTTP checking

Greg Montgomery greg at montgomeryhouse.net
Wed Jan 12 06:04:16 CET 2005

Hi, I'm trying to do two non-standard web checks with Nagios that are causing me problems:

1) We have an app server that responds to standard HTTP requests but returns type Content-Type "application/octet-stream" (not valid HTML).  check_http barfs on the output. I need something almost exactly like check_http but will accept arbitrary output.  Any ideas on how do to this?

2) I have a web application that I want to monitor the log in process.  The way it works is I POST credentials to a login web page, which then sets a cookie, and sends me a redirect.  The redirected web page checks the cookie and then displays some data.  check_http obviously does nothing with the cookies, so that doesn't work.  I need something that will return the cookie properly.  A lot of the web test script frameworks don't even appear to do that.  Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Greg