Dependencies - a little confused.

Emmett Hogan EmmettH at Examen.com
Tue Jan 11 20:39:20 CET 2005

Okay...now I am REALLY confused.  I do not understand why you would need
to make all services dependent on a check_ping service when the Nagios
Documentation states:

In the "*Theory Of Operation" Chapter, Section entitled: "Determining
status and reachability of network hosts":***
<http://tahoe.examen.com/nagios2/docs/networkreachability.html>

Whenever a service check results in a non-OK status level, Nagios will
attempt to check and see if the host that the service is running on is
"alive". Typically this is done by pinging the host and seeing if any
response is received. If the host check command returns a non-OK state,
Nagios assumes that there is a problem with the host. In this situation
Nagios will "silence" all potential alerts for services running on the
host and just notify the appropriate contacts that the host is down or
unreachable. If the host check command returns an OK state, Nagios will
recognize that the host is alive and will send out an alert for the
service that is misbehaving.

*By adding the dependency on a check_ping service aren't you adding
another level of complexity that is already handled by default??
*

*-Emmett
*

--
================ Examen, Inc. ================
Emmett Hogan
emmetth at examen.com
==== Outside Counsel Management Solutions ====

CONFIDENTIAL -  PRIVILEGED INFORMATION
This e-mail may include confidential, trade secret or legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please do not read, copy, use, distribute or disclose this
communication to anyone other than the intended recipient. Please
notify the sender of any error in transmission or delivery and
delete any misdirected e-mail from your system.