Service Dependencys (2.0b1)

Schimpke, Dr. Thomas / bhn Schimpke at Lenze.de
Tue Jan 11 13:51:44 CET 2005

Hello,

it seems, that I'm unable to get my service dependencies to work. I've
got two services A (snmpd) and B (check for a running process via snmp),
so that the check of B depends upon A (snmpd must be up, so that I
receive a response).

I've set up the services as follows:

define service {
	service_description A
	...other things follow...
}

define servicedependency{
	register 		0
	name			dependUponA
	host_name		thisHost
	dependent_host_name	thisHost
	service_description	A
	execution_failure_criteria	u,c,p
	notification_failure_criteria	u,c,p
}

define service {
	service_description	B-Process
	... other configuration options follow...
}

define servicedependency {
	use	dependUponA
	dependent_service_description	B-Process
}

Using this setup I would expect, that the (active) check_for service
B-process is not executed, if process A is either in an unknown,critical
or pending state. Is this correct ?

If I setup a new host for monitoring in nagios, I noticed, that the
B-Process service (it may be any SNMP based service check) is executed
in spite of the fact, that service A (the snmpd) is still in state
pending.

One more thing that may be important: Service A (the snmpd) is basically
a passive check. i'm doing some freshness checks every 30 minutes,
however. So, service A will be OK after approx. 30 minutes.

I recognized this behaviour in the 1.x Version also (at least, I'm quite
sure that I saw it there), so I think I'm doing something
stupid...(maybe I did't understand the documentation correctly).

Kind regards

Thomas