check http using specific SSL certificate

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Tue Jan 11 02:12:52 CET 2005

You probably use some variation of the following theme:

if (echo 'GET / HTTP/1.0^M'; echo '^M') | \
   /usr/bin/maxtime 10 \
   /usr/bin/openssl s_client -quiet -connect "$1:443" 2>&1 | \
   grep HTTP > /dev/null 2>&1
then
   echo Service available
   exit 0
else
   echo Service down
   exit 2
fi

If you want my maxtime program, please drop me a note.  I probably
should put it up for download anyway.