storing host/service down events in database

Joubin Moshrefzadeh jmosh at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 10 22:51:43 CET 2005

all this time i've been thinking "database integration of downtime" means nagios keeps records of when devices go down and come up (the unscheduled events!!) in the database rather than in a log file... but much to my dismay, i found the downtime tables empty after several weeks of testing... and finally I read the docs more carfully and picked up on the "Scheduled host and service downtime" section just before the "Database support" section in the documentation.

tell me I'm missing something... because I was really hoping the day to day down and up events that nagios detects are what get stored in the database. If this feature isn't supported, has anyone out there written a script (perl preferably) that scans the logs and makes the database entries??

much thanks!
Joubin