comparison

Yates, George D, GVSOL gdyates at att.com
Mon Jan 10 19:22:45 CET 2005

I'm a system engineer at a firm that is looking at its current system
management platform and is looking for alternatives. I was considering
Nagios but what to compare it to the features that our current system
provide. Could you tell me if Nagios can provide the following for us.

Network Monitoring/Alarm Features:
- Ability to discover and store all IP addresses within the system using
fully qualified DNS names
- Ability to detect if any IP address is down to generate a management
alarm.  Detect when a downed IP is restored to service.
- Ability to use (MIBs) Management Information Base to capture key
statistics
- Alarm generation based on MIB threshold statistics
- Tools to manage MIBs (MIB browser) and make config changes.
- Graphical interface to organize alarms status indicators
- Alarm correlation to manage event floods

Sever Monitoring/Management Features
- Monitor any number of logfiles on a server for error codes/patter
matching
- Detection of utilization threshold events for file systems, memory and
CPU
- Monitor a configurable list of software apps for running status
- Tools to allow system admin to efficiently change any of the
monitoring config files on a large number of servers
- Generate alarms for any condition threshold that is exceeded. Alarms
are sent to a single user display.
- Automatically invoke scripts when selected condition threshold
conditions are met
- Server monitoring by intelligent agents, only alarms are sent to
central server (bandwidth, alarm persistence and reliability benefit)

If you could tell me, out of those bullets, which ones Nagios can
perform or can't?

regards,

Mr. Yates

George D. Yates