Service/Host dependency, plus Timeout question...

Emmett Hogan EmmettH at Examen.com
Mon Jan 10 19:45:20 CET 2005

Hi Folks,

I *know* this is in the documentation somewhere, but I cannot seem to
find it anywhere...so please forgive me. :-)

I have two questions regarding "Service Check Timeouts"....

1) All my timeouts come back as CRITICAL and result in immediate pages,
we occasionally have systems which are pretty loaded and the NAGIOS
checks timeout.  We'd like those to come through as WARNINGS (so we
don't get pages).  We are checking everything via "check_by_ssh".

2) I was under the impression that if a host was down, that SERVICE
errors were quenched....but that doesn't seem to be the case here.  If
we take a service down, then suddenly we get inundated with SERVICE
"CRITICAL" pages.  Am I assuming an incorrect dependency between
services and hosts?

Again, I am sorry for asking such basic questions....but it's Monday,
and we had an extended downtime this weekend...so I am beat.

(Please, have pity on me!) :-)

-Emmett

--
================ Examen, Inc. ================
Emmett Hogan
emmetth at examen.com
==== Outside Counsel Management Solutions ====

CONFIDENTIAL -  PRIVILEGED INFORMATION
This e-mail may include confidential, trade secret or legally
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please do not read, copy, use, distribute or disclose this
communication to anyone other than the intended recipient. Please
notify the sender of any error in transmission or delivery and
delete any misdirected e-mail from your system.