increase polling frequency

Qolinar qolinar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 18:59:24 CET 2005

I need to increase the polling frequency. I'm currently running SLES 8
and Nagios 2.01b to monitor 900 routers with only one service (only
monitoring PING; I disabled the host checks since I am checking PING)
on a P3 1.2Ghz box with 512MB RAM (I know, underpowered).

I've made some changes that I thought would speed things up a bit, but
they haven't (example: a PING service check exceeded my threshold of
800ms. The next check was scheduled for 20 minutes after the check
that found the threshold breach. I then forced a reschedule. After the
rescheduled service check found that the threshold was no longer being
violated, the service status changed back to OK however the next
service check is to be 2 hours in the future. I want that to be a
period of minutes, not hours.)

Here is my nagios.cfg file:

TER-CHECK DELAY METHOD
# This is the method that Nagios should use when initially
# "spreading out" service checks when it starts monitoring.  The
# default is to use smart delay calculation, which will try to
# space all service checks out evenly to minimize CPU load.
# Using the dumb setting will cause all checks to be scheduled
# at the same time (with no delay between them)!  This is not a
# good thing for production, but is useful when testing the
# parallelization functionality.
#       n       = None - don't use any delay between checks
#       d       = Use a "dumb" delay of 1 second between checks
#       s       = Use "smart" inter-check delay calculation
#       x.xx    = Use an inter-check delay of x.xx seconds

service_inter_check_delay_method=d

# MAXIMUM SERVICE CHECK SPREAD
# This variable determines the timeframe (in minutes) from the
# program start time that an initial check of all services should
# be completed.  Default is 30 minutes.

max_service_check_spread=5

# SERVICE CHECK INTERLEAVE FACTOR
# This variable determines how service checks are interleaved.
# Interleaving the service checks allows for a more even
# distribution of service checks and reduced load on remote
# hosts.  Setting this value to 1 is equivalent to how versions
# of Nagios previous to 0.0.5 did service checks.  Set this
# value to s (smart) for automatic calculation of the interleave
# factor unless you have a specific reason to change it.
#       s       = Use "smart" interleave factor calculation
#       x       = Use an interleave factor of x, where x is a
#                 number greater than or equal to 1.

service_interleave_factor=s

# HOST INTER-CHECK DELAY METHOD
# This is the method that Nagios should use when initially
# "spreading out" host checks when it starts monitoring.  The
# default is to use smart delay calculation, which will try to
# space all host checks out evenly to minimize CPU load.
# Using the dumb setting will cause all checks to be scheduled
# at the same time (with no delay between them)!
#       n       = None - don't use any delay between checks
#       d       = Use a "dumb" delay of 1 second between checks
#       s       = Use "smart" inter-check delay calculation
#       x.xx    = Use an inter-check delay of x.xx seconds

host_inter_check_delay_method=s

# MAXIMUM HOST CHECK SPREAD
# This variable determines the timeframe (in minutes) from the
# program start time that an initial check of all hosts should
# be completed.  Default is 30 minutes.

max_host_check_spread=15

# MAXIMUM CONCURRENT SERVICE CHECKS
# This option allows you to specify the maximum number of
# service checks that can be run in parallel at any given time.
# Specifying a value of 1 for this variable essentially prevents
# any service checks from being parallelized.  A value of 0
# will not restrict the number of concurrent checks that are
# being executed.

max_concurrent_checks=0

# SERVICE CHECK REAPER FREQUENCY
# This is the frequency (in seconds!) that Nagios will process
# the results of services that have been checked.

service_reaper_frequency=5

# AUTO-RESCHEDULING OPTION
# This option determines whether or not Nagios will attempt to
# automatically reschedule active host and service checks to
# "smooth" them out over time.  This can help balance the load on
# the monitoring server.
# WARNING: THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL FEATURE - IT CAN DEGRADE
# PERFORMANCE, RATHER THAN INCREASE IT, IF USED IMPROPERLY

auto_reschedule_checks=0

# AUTO-RESCHEDULING INTERVAL
# This option determines how often (in seconds) Nagios will
# attempt to automatically reschedule checks.  This option only
# has an effect if the auto_reschedule_checks option is enabled.
# Default is 30 seconds.
# WARNING: THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL FEATURE - IT CAN DEGRADE
# PERFORMANCE, RATHER THAN INCREASE IT, IF USED IMPROPERLY

auto_rescheduling_interval=20

# AUTO-RESCHEDULING WINDOW
# This option determines the "window" of time (in seconds) that
# Nagios will look at when automatically rescheduling checks.
# Only host and service checks that occur in the next X seconds
# (determined by this variable) will be rescheduled. This option
# only has an effect if the auto_reschedule_checks option is
# enabled.  Default is 180 seconds (3 minutes).
# WARNING: THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL FEATURE - IT CAN DEGRADE
# PERFORMANCE, RATHER THAN INCREASE IT, IF USED IMPROPERLY

auto_rescheduling_window=180

# SLEEP TIME
# This is the number of seconds to sleep between checking for system
# events and service checks that need to be run.

sleep_time=0.25