Is it possible to confirm an alarm condition prior to generating an alert?

don mccallum dmccallum at nemsys.com
Mon Jan 10 18:48:18 CET 2005

Hello everybody.

I am running Nagios 1.2b and 2.01 at two separate locations. Both on
Redhat 7.3

The issue I am running into is a large number of false alerts, which due
to the nature of what we are monitoring.  (In reality they are real
alerts but they immediately recover - Nagios is working to well!)

We monitor our customers servers who are widely distributed on the net.
Most are on DSL, cable or wireless connections.  The customers we have
on non-dedicated lines are generating real errors whenever they have to
reboot a cable modem etc, but they always recover within a few minutes.
Our alerts typically read "10:48 Host1 is down" then immediately "10:48
Service xxx is down" (repeat for all services) then followed by "10:48
Host1 is up" followed by "10:48 Service xxx has recovered" (repeat
again)

Therefore, my question is on the host/service checks can I have it
recheck a host/service when a failure occurs after 5 or 10 seconds prior
to generating the first alert?  Perhaps configuring it to only send an
email after the 2nd error condition is seen.  Simply double checking
prior to generating the alert would be helpful to us.

Thanks all,

-Don McCallum

 mccallum at nemsys.com

 419-243-3603x113