More on notifications and reboot monitoring

Carson Gaspar carson+nagiosusers at taltos.org
Mon Jan 10 09:06:51 CET 2005

--On Monday, January 10, 2005 12:36 AM -0600 Ethan Galstad
<nagios at nagios.org> wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2005 at 14:37, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>

> This isn't really a bug that you want to fix, as it will cause a lot
> of not-so-great side effects.  When you schedule downtime for a host,
> anything that happens during that time is fair game and is ignored
> for purposes of notification (that's why its in downtime).  When
> downtime ends, Nagios will not notify about a problem that happened
> during that downtime - that's what downtime was for.  If the problem
> continues after downtime (i.e. an active check returns a problem),
> then a notification can occur.

But there will _be_ no checks (other than ping) after the downtime if
anything went wrong, because the host will still be down.

> I would use active checks as Andreas suggested for checking host
> availability.  Passive-only checks might be troublesome to implement
> reliably.

I can't. They just don't scale to the number of hosts I need to monitor, in
Nagios's current incarnations (including 2.0 beta).

Ah well, I have a solution that works. I'm not thrilled with it, but it
handles every corner case I can think of. And will scale to a very large
number of hosts. Is anyone else here using Nagios to monitor >1000 hosts?
My target (right now) is 2k hosts per monitoring server, and a total of
about 12k hosts monitored.

Once I've finished rolling this out, and have better performance data, I'll
be writing it up and will post a link here. With luck, my corporate lords
and masters will allow me to release the source code to my client side
monitor agent and my server side queueing server. Our config management
code has too many proprietary DB hooks to be useful anywhere else.

--
Carson