Check size of a Windows Server <--- Service

Stephan Janosch stephan.janosch at interface-business.de
Fri Jan 7 10:09:57 CET 2005

Anthony Montibello wrote:
> HI,
>
> Just wanted to let you know you can also use NC_Net. It accepts the
> same syntax as nsclient.  NC_Net also includes a Performance Counter
> Viewer That may be helpful in setting up the correct counter/instance.
> http://www.shatterit.com/NC_Net/
>
> Good Luck,
> Happy New Year
>
> Tony
>

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:57:59 +0100, Wengrzik, Andreas <Wengrzik at ewr.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>I had a wrong word in my subject for this thread.... :)
>>I need to check the size of a service, not a server ....
>>
>>Umm i will look forward to test pnsclient, but i think nrpe does the same
>>but with more options?
>>
>>I wish anyone in the list a Happy New Year!!!
>>
>>-andreas

>>>If you're after what I think, then you can do it with
>>>pNSclient.  Check the
>>>perfMon counters -- there's a place for resource usage on a
>>>per-process
>>>basis and you can search for the process name.  This should
>>>be able to give
>>>you what you want?  We're doing something similar for memory
>>>use by our SQL
>>>Server processes.
>>>
>>>Since pNSclient can also monitor services, you might be
>>>better off using
>>>just pnsclient unless you are using NRPE to run custom
>>>scripts or to restart
>>>stopped services.
>>>
>>>Steve
>>>
>>>---
>>>Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
>>>Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
>>>** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
>>>** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

If have an example:

define service {
host_name                      <some_host>
service_description            MEMORY_tomcat
check_command
check_nt!COUNTER!"\\Prozess(tomcat)\\Virtuelle Größe"," %.0f/10 Bytes
used"!2500000000!3000000000
use                            generic-service-wo-perf
normal_check_interval          10
}

check the returned number please. In my environment the returned size
was factor 10 to big. I don't know why.

Stephan
aka Momocat at forum.luebben-home ;)