Need HELP with Process check command failing on FreeBSD

Sam Davidson jsdavidson at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 01:43:25 CET 2005

I need someone smarter than me to help me with information regarding to the
nagios_check_command in the cgi.cfg file. I cannot get this to work for some
odd reason. I am running 2 instances of NAGIOS on 2 FreeBSD with versions
5.1 and 5.2.1.  I get the same result from both machines.

This is what I have for the value in the cgi.cfg file but this doesn’t work.
  I have tried moving the values around but that didn’t seem to make any
difference.

nagios_check_command=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nagios -F
/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log -e 5 -C '/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg'

If I run check_nagios manually from the libexec/ I can only get it to work
with this string -

nagios# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nagios -F
/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log -e 5 -C /usr

Nagios ok: located 9 processes, status log updated 2 seconds ago

If I run it again with this variable or other variables I get the Could not
find a running Nagios process!

nagios# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nagios -F
/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log -e 5 -C /usr/local

Could not locate a running Nagios process!

I tried putting the values for the string that worked in the cgi.cfg file
but still didn’t work

I thought it may be a rights issue, so I added the www user in the nagios
group to see if that would make any difference. But it didn’t.

If there is anyone out there that can point me in the right direction for a
solution I would be very grateful.

Sam Davidson
jsdavidson at hotmail.com

AIM - jsamueldavidson