unresolved externals

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Thu Jan 6 19:27:12 CET 2005

Getting an application to compile without unresolved externals,
particularly when porting from one *ix to another, is something of a
FAQ.

I see questions like this all the time, both on mailing lists, and "on
the job".

Consquently, I decided to write an application to try to help newbies
sort out this kind of problem.

The current incarnation is called "find-sym", and a URL where you can
download it and usage follow:

http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/find-sym.html

tesuji-strombrg> ./find-sym
Must specify either -s or -p
Usage: ./find-sym [-l] [-i] [-v] [-h] [-s symbol] [-p] [-h]
-l      says to only check for libraries including the symbol
-h      says to only check for header files including the symbol
-v      says to run (very) verbosely
-h      gives help
-s      symbol says to check for only one symbol
-p      says to parse stdin for unresolved external messages from
        gcc, and search for each of them

-l and -h are mutually exclusive
-s and -p are mutually exclusive

This is the most public announcement I've made of this program so far.

Feedback would be valued.

HTH.