INETD and NRPE daemon in solaris 8]

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Thu Jan 6 17:43:25 CET 2005

Sudheer Muddappa wrote:

> It works fine when I start it from the command line.
> But no luck with inetd.
> I have to start it with rc.local if I cannot make it work with inetd.

Solaris uses system v run levels. Create a startup script in /etc/init.d
and link to the appropriate run level. E.g.

File /etc/init.d/nrpe:

-----start file-----
#!/bin/sh

NrpeBin=/usr/local/nagios/sbin/nrpe
NrpeCfg=/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
   start)
         # Start daemons.
         echo "Starting nrpe: "
         $NrpeBin -c $NrpeCfg --daemon
         echo
         ;;
   stop)
         # Stop daemons.
         echo "Shutting down nrpe: "
         /usr/bin/pkill -f $NrpeBin
         echo
         ;;
   restart)
         $0 stop
         $0 start
         ;;
   *)
         echo "Usage: nrpe {start|stop|restart}"
         exit 1
esac

exit 0

Then link the files...

# ln -s /etc/init.d/nrpe /etc/rc3.d/S99nrpe
# ln -s /etc/init.d/nrpe /etc/rc1.d/K01nrpe

The above is untested!

> If you know how can I make it work with inetd that will help.

Sorry I don't run it that way so I cannot help you there. I'd imagine
it's more efficient to run as a daemon rather than have it go through
inetd, but couldn't say this definitively.

Jim Mozley