Easy User Defined Status Map updates

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Tue Jan 4 20:26:35 CET 2005

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Dunno if anyone will find this useful, but I was having
> problems with a
> largish network not being displayed particularly well in the
> status map
> and needed a way to easily create the user defined status map
> coords. So
>
> Two very simple scripts to convert the config's back and forth between
> nagios and cheops-ng for the purpose of getting the nagios status map
> looking pretty :)
>
> nag2che.awk - ( cat hostextinfo.cfg | ./nag2che.awk )
>
> Reads the Nagios config file and creates a cheops-ng config file. You
> can then fire up cheops-ng and drag and drop the nodes the
> the location
> you want them.
>
> che2nag.awk - ( cat hostextinfo.cfg | ./che2nag.awk )
>
> Pulls out the x,y coords from the cheops-nf config file and
> updates the
> nagios config file with the new node positions

I would find this very useful, if I could make it work. Not having used
cheops-ng before, I had to do a fair amount of research to get that
going. For a new user, it seems as though cheops-ng will crash if there
is no '$HOME/.gnome/cheops-ng.map' file when you attempt to open the
file created by nag2che.awk.

Also, nag2che.awk didn't appear to create a file, at least not one that
I could locate. I created this file with the following command:
    cat hostextinfo.cfg | ./nag2che.awk > ~/.gnome/cheops-ng.map
This would also take care of the cheops crashing issue mentioned above.

So, I made it to the point where I can see my statusmap in cheops-ng,
move icons around, delete old ones, etc. After this I save the file and
could elaborate on this step a bit, as I can't seem to figure it out.
I'm reading into the script now, so maybe I'll get to it before you read
this. However, I do think that your docs could use a little more
information in them.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.273.5050 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)