postgres check: works from cmd line but not from nagios

Fred Blaise fred.blaise at excilan.com
Mon Jan 3 18:18:32 CET 2005

Hello

I am trying to make this postgres check to work.. it works from command
line, bit not via the nagios check. Please see below the results and
config info. Your help is greatly appreciated :)

server: Nagios 1.3 Debian testing.

services.cfg snip:
-----
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use

        host_name                       hhhh
        service_description             Postgres DB
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  global-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_pgsql!dddd!uuuu
        }
-----

pgsql.conf (I added the ARG1 and ARG2, to pass the db name and username.
Can i do that?)
------
define command{
        command_name    check_pgsql
        command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_pgsql -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -d $ARG1$ -l $ARG2$
        }
------

result via nagios:
PGSQL: CRITICAL - no connection to 'template1' (FATAL: no pg_hba.conf
entry for host "81.201.101.5", user "nagios", database "template1", SSL
off

Via commandline:
-----
host:/etc/nagios-plugins/config# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_pgsql -H
<serverip> -d dddd -l uuuu
PGSQL: ok - database excilan (0 sec.)
-----

Can anyone explain to me why that is? Let me know if you need additional
info.

Thanks a lot

Fred