NAGIOS NSCA problem solved but still don

Stephan Janosch stephan.janosch at interface-business.de
Mon Jan 3 08:28:17 CET 2005

jdragone at pictage.com.ar wrote:
> Hi

Hi too!

> Dec 30 17:41:12 monitor2 nsca[662]: Handling the connection...
> Dec 30 17:41:13 monitor2 nsca[662]: SERVICE CHECK -> Host Name: 'Host',
> Service Description: 'Service', Return Code: '0', Output: 'PerformanceData'
> Dec 30 17:41:13 monitor2 nsca[662]: End of connection...
>
> Now my new question is: where this data is going to?

In regular case, the data is written into the COMMAND FILE of nagios.
nagios checks this file regulary for entries and these entries are added
to the general result queue.

>    ls -la /usr/local/nagios/etc/nsca.cfg
>    -rw-r--r--    1 nagios   nagios       5199 Dec 29 21:02
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nsca.cfg
>
>    lsof | grep nagios.cmd
>    nagios    24899     root    6r  FIFO        3,2             1844163
> /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
>
> I've reading into nsca.c source file, but could not find for any clues to
> where nsca is sending its received data.
>
> vi /usr/local/nagios/etc/nsca.cfg:
>
> command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log

There seems to be an error. Why you configure nsca to write into the log
file instead writing into the command file. Try this line:
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.cmd (or adjust the path to
nagios.cmd).

> alternate_dump_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nsca.dump
> debug=1
> aggregate_writes=1
> append_to_file=1
>

> Regards