Question on Nagios Service Detail Layout

Todd McNeill toddm at toddles.com
Mon Feb 28 20:26:32 CET 2005

Hi-

I've been using Nagios since the Netsaint days, so I've got a pretty good
understanding of how it works, however, I would like to get some
recommendations on how to organize and present data from the CGIs,
especially the Service Detail screen.

I'm doing quite a bit of DBA work on DB2, and I've written a bunch of active
and passive service checks to keep track of the health of the databases.
However, I'm now running into an issue of the Service Detail screen looking
pretty messy.  Hierarchically speaking, I have multiple hosts, each with
multiple database instances.  Each of these instances can have multiple
databases.  Each of these databases has multiple (5 - 7) service checks
running against it.  Each instance also has a service check running against
it.  I've set up a service dependency for each of the database checks
against the instance check.  My development host now has 25 instances with
over 30 databases, so for that one host entry, I have about 180 service
checks.

I've named the service checks by database name, so at least they are sorted
properly, but I'd love to hear any thoughts about how to better organize
this visually.  What I'd love to see is a way to group beyond the
host/service hierarchy, and have additional levels that would be presented
on the service detail screen, such that the instance service checks would be
indented (as they are now) from the host level, and there would be an
additional indent for the service checks of the databases that belonged to
that instance.

Example:

Dev Host 1
--Dev Instance #1
----Dev DB1 Check #1
----Dev DB1 Check #2
--Dev Instance #2
----Dev DB2 Check #1
----Dev DB2 Check #2
Dev Host 2
--Dev Instance #3
----Dev DB3 Check #1
----Dev DB3 Check #2

I'm still using Nagios 1.x, so if this is new functionality of 2.0, if
someone could point me into the right direction on the documentation, that
would be helpful.  If this has been answered previously, please forgive me.
If none of this makes sense, I completely understand :)

TIA,
Todd