Template Based Configuration Issues

Adams, Russell L. RLAdams at Kelsey-Seybold.com
Fri Feb 25 22:23:56 CET 2005

I'm migrating from a Netsaint 0.0.7 installation to Nagios 1.2, and
was frustrated by portions of the template based configuration. I
thought I'd check here for advice.

I love the new inheritance features using templates and being able to
apply services across hostgroups. In Netsaint I was using some
elaborate custom perl scripting to accomplish similar tasks and was
hoping to avoid similar scripts for Nagios by utilizing the templates.

One problem I'm having is that wildcards cannot contain glob patterns
(ie: members server* ). I did a quick test to see if it worked,
which failed for me. Is this correct that a wildcard can mean all
hosts, and only all hosts?

Secondly, it appears that the template definitions cannot be squeezed
into one line, for example:

define host{ host_name host ; alias hostalias ; use Template };

Is there a format for this I missed in the documentation, or must each
template based record truly be newline separated?

Third, I'm frustrated by the fact that I have to list every member
host in the hostgroup definition. For automation purposes I was hoping
to be able to define which hostgroup to join in the host definition,
reducing the hostgroup definition to specifying the contact group for
the hostgroup. Are there any workarounds for this?

I'm trying to automate our Nagios configuration to a degree to keep up
with our constantly changing network without constant manual
intervention.

I'm doing a domain transfer and matching hostnames in order to create
host records for Nagios, which is why having to collect all of the
hosts for a hostgroup definition is so problematic. However, defining
services by the hostgroup and using host templates works wonderfully!

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Russell