Nagios-users digest, Vol 1 #2481 - 27 msgs

Thu Feb 24 04:10:53 CET 2005

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 01:58:33PM -0800, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:13:11 -0500 (EST)
> From: Tom Gwilt <tgwilt at suite224.net>
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Problem on installation of Nagios on BSD!
>
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Hamed Majnoonian wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a 4.10 BSD box and I am trying to install Nagios on it. The problem
> > is:
> > 1- The "make" phase is good.
> > 2- When I want to "make install" I've received this message
> > "p5-NET-SNMP-5.0.1_1 requires perl 5.6.xor later."
> >
> > I have installed the perl 5 and everything was fine during installation.
> > Tried again to install nagios but the same error message appeared. I
> > deinstalled perl 5 and installed perl 5.8 but the problem still is there.
> >
> > Can anybody help?
> >

> did you run the use.perl port command after the install (provided you
> upgraded perl via the ports...)

use.perl port is probably what you need, but otherwise, you may want to
delete config.cache and repeat the configuration phase.

BTW, do you mean 'Nagios' or 'Nagios plugins'.

I don't think Nagios requires anything to do with SNMP let alone the
Perl module Net::SNMP.

Lastly, FreeBSD has Perl 5.005_03 built in (and has since about RELENG
3) so you should never need to install Perl unless, as may be the case
here, you need a module that requires Perl > 5.6.

If you do install a new Perl remember that you _must_ do something about
the Perl modules to make them available to the new Perl ... (I thought a
procedure for reinstalling the p5 ports was described in the port
directory but I can't find it now. I reinstalled manually after the
screams ...; the XS modules [C code] must be recompiled with the new
Perl)

> Tom

Yours sincerely.

--