trouble with latency

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Feb 23 18:26:52 CET 2005

Scott Behrens wrote:

> I am getting roughly 3354 seconds of latency per check and I am not sure
> why.   Everything is enabled in smart mode except for
> max_concurent_checks because I had trobule with swap.  I took the
> minimum recommended number and multiplied it by to and set
> max_concurent_checks to 100.  Any suggestions?  Also 95% of my checks

With 1812 checks you should really try having max_concurrent_checks at 0
(unlimited) or at least roughly 300. Otherwise it won't have room for
re-checks in case of failures, and you get latency. If 300 is too much
for the hardware then adjust downwards.

Also, if you're using Nagios 1.x, the smart mode isn't really all that
smart if you have different default_check_interval's, in which case it
will do some seriously erratic math and come up with a check interval
that is way too high for it to manage all of them.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer