Router has many interfaces(and ip's) what will be the parent?

matato at pregi.net matato at pregi.net
Tue Feb 22 11:04:13 CET 2005

Hi,
  I'm currently monitoring servers of two different networks.

202.90.158.x and
202.90.128.x

Nagios works fine alerting me when the host goes down or up, but the
entries for hosts.cfg doesn't include a "parent"(I have commented it.)
Upon further readings of the documentation, I've came across the
monitoring remote hosts. I've found out that alert for host status can
either be DOWN or UNREACHEABLE if I put something in the "parent" section
right?
The network setup with those two subnets above looks like this:

               ISP

             Router
            /      \
           /        \
    158 Switch   128 Switch
         /            \
        /              \
 nagios,server1,2     server3,server4

As you can see, the router has many interfaces. Nagios belongs to 158
network. I'm monitoring servers 1,2,3,4 both from different networks. I
have tracerouted from my nagios server to a 128 server(server4) and found
out that 202.90.158.1 is the ip of the interface in the router where
nagios is passing to get to the 128 servers.
Questions:
What will be the parent for a 128 server?
Is it the 202.90.158.1 or is it the ip of the interface in the router
where 128 block passes to get through 158 block if I am to do a traceroute
this time from a 128 machine to a 158 machine?
And if I already know what the parent should be, do I have to create
additional hosts.cfg entry for this host? Will it have a parent two?
Thanks.