Multiple remote checks

Kaare Rasmussen kar at kakidata.dk
Mon Feb 21 16:25:28 CET 2005

Hi

I would like to check some services running on servers behind a firewall from
a Nagios server which is behind another firewall.

Some options comes to mind:

1. check_by_ssh
This will work, but i imagine that it will use lots of resources, given that
there are perhaps 10 services per server to be checked.
It would have to ssh to the remote firewall, and then from the firewall to
each host for every service check.

2. nrpe
Would require a hole in the remote firewall. Not sure that it would use less
resources.

3. nsca
Would require a hole in the local (nagios) firewall. Still a lot of connecting
going on.

4. rel ?
Could work, but I'm not sure that it's being maintained. Also, using mail as
transport may not add to security. Or efficiency.

5. Do it myself
I'm surprised that I couldn't find something like this:
5.1. Service check on remote systems will store results in a file.
5.2 Once in a while, nagios will collect this file through ssh and update the
external command file.
Is this stupid/unnecessary/done before?