SMS issue

Fred Blaise fred.blaise at excilan.com
Fri Feb 18 16:14:41 CET 2005

Hello all

I am in need of a new eye on my problem.

Nagios 1.3, latest update of debian testing - ( web piece disfunctional
after upgrade btw. Note: the pb was present before the upgrade). I am
using the files backend.

I am sending alerts via emails and SMS (classic). Emails are always
being sent and received. No problems there.

The problem lies in the SMSes are actually not being sent, but only when
they are sent by Nagios. They are not even leaving the server! I used
tcpdump to monitor the nw traffic for those SMS... total silence.

This is my misccommands.cfg for this SMS notification:

define command{
        command_name    notify-by-sms
        command_line    /usr/local/bin/sms_notify_2 $CONTACTPAGER$
"Service: $SERVICEDESC$ Host: $HOSTALIAS$ State: $SERVICESTATE$ Time:
$DATETIME$ Info: $OUTPUT$"
}

I can see nagios logging the alert, and also logging that the SMS alerts
were sent:

[1108738026] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
renaud;rolo;RADIUS;CRITICAL;notify-by-sms;Auth Error
[1108738026] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
renaud;rolo;RADIUS;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;Auth Error
[1108738026] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
nagios;rolo;RADIUS;CRITICAL;notify-by-sms;Auth Error
[1108738026] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
nagios;rolo;RADIUS;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;Auth Error
[1108738026] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
chris;rolo;RADIUS;CRITICAL;notify-by-sms;Auth Error
[1108738026] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
chris;rolo;RADIUS;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;Auth Error

The script (sms_notify_2) works fine if run manually.
Also, I tried to reproduce the problem in writing a small bash script to
try to simulate how nagios sends those SMSes:

------
#!/bin/bash

PH_NUM=( 000000000000 111111111111 222222222222 )

for i in ${PH_NUM[@]};
do
        echo "Sending to $i"
        /usr/local/bin/sms_notify_2 $i "Tests en rafales" &
done
-------
That script works perfectly, I receive the SMS everytime on the 3 cell
phones.

But Nagios still doesn't send the SMSes.. I also tried putting a random
sleep statement in the php script that generates the actual SMSes, just
in case that it was being triggered too fast by Nagios, and that for
some reasons didn't work because that. No luck there either.

Please note the above is (trying) to generate 3 SMSes.. If I try with
only 1 SMS recipient, I _sometimes_ get the SMS... and I can see the
trace on tcpdump, of course.

Anyone having any idea? How is Nagios actually triggering the sending of
the alerts?

Any ideas, pointers, suggestions are very welcome. Thanks a lot.

Regards

	))fred