ps error when /etc/init.d/nagios start

Bit Takeshi vuhung16duong at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Feb 18 08:11:00 CET 2005

--- Werner Flamme <Werner.Flamme at ufz.de>
> Well, since you did not configure nagios (this is
> what nagios tells you
> here), nagios cannot start. So when you invoke the
> nagios start script
> nagios does not start and the pid file does not
> exist. This start script
> uses "ps -p $NagiosPID" to determine whether nagios
> runs or not. Since
> there is not $NagiosPID (nagios did not start
> because of the missing
> config) you get the error message you gave at the
> beginning.
>
> So, first configure nagios, then call
> "/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v
> > /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg" to see if the
> config is correct and
> only then you may "/etc/init.d/nagios start".
>
> BTW: did you "make install-config" after "make
> install"?

Hello,

Thanks for your your reply. I am sure I did a "make
install; make install-config". I double checked what i did
with history | grep install-config. And it was there.

But this time I did it again and watch the output more
carefully,

--------------////////////////////--------------------
[root at ns1 /home/vuhung/tmp/nagios-2.0b2]#make
install-config
/usr/bin/install -c -m 775 -o nagios -g nagios -d
/usr/local/nagios/etc
/usr/bin/install -c -m 664 -o nagios -g nagios
sample-config/nagios.cfg
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg-sample
/usr/bin/install -c -m 664 -o nagios -g nagios
sample-config/cgi.cfg /usr/local/nagios/etc/cgi.cfg-sample
/usr/bin/install -c -m 660 -o nagios -g nagios
sample-config/resource.cfg
/usr/local/nagios/etc/resource.cfg-sample
/usr/bin/install -c -m 664 -o nagios -g nagios
sample-config/template-object/bigger.cfg
/usr/local/nagios/etc/bigger.cfg-sample
/usr/bin/install -c -m 664 -o nagios -g nagios
sample-config/template-object/minimal.cfg
/usr/local/nagios/etc/minimal.cfg-sample
/usr/bin/install -c -m 664 -o nagios -g nagios
sample-config/template-object/checkcommands.cfg
/usr/local/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg-sample
/usr/bin/install -c -m 664 -o nagios -g nagios
sample-config/template-object/misccommands.cfg
/usr/local/nagios/etc/misccommands.cfg-sample

*** Sample config file installed ***

Remember, these are *SAMPLE* config files.  You'll need to
read
the documentation for more information on how to actually
define
services, hosts, etc. to fit your particular needs.

If you have questions about configuring Nagios properly,
please:
       - Look at the sample config files
       - Read the HTML documentation
       - Read the FAQs online at
http://www.nagios.org/faqs
*BEFORE* you post a question to one of the mailing lists.
-------------/////////////////////----------------------------

As you can see, some critical files were not copied:

timeperiods.cfg
dependencies.cfg
hosts.cfg
hostgroups.cfg
contacts.cfg
contactgroups.cfg

Where I can get samples for these files?

Vu Hung

http://www.fedu.uec.ac.jp/~vuhung/
http://chuiyang.org