Passive Checks with Active Checks Enabled

Andrzejewski, David David.Andrzejewski at oeconnection.com
Wed Feb 16 15:26:22 CET 2005

I know this question has been asked about a million times on this list.
After spending about an hour searching and trying to find a solution
that works, I've been unable to make this behave like I want.

I'm really hoping that someone on this list has actually been able to
make this work.

We're running version 1.2.  We have about 700 total checks.  70 of them
are passive checks.  I want to leave active service checks enabled on
these services so that the tactical overview screen isn't quite as
confusing (some people tend to assume that if it is critical, but says
"disabled", it's okay).

Here's the service template I'm using:

# Passive check service definition template
define service{
        name                            passive-service-notdisabled
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             1
#        check_freshness                 0      ; This gets enabled on a
per-service basis
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        register                        0
        }

And here's the service I have defined:

define service{
        use                             passive-service-notdisabled
; Name of service template to use
        host_name                       TEST-HOST
        service_description             TEST-IGNORE
        is_volatile                     1
        check_freshness                 1
        freshness_threshold             60
        check_period                    none
        max_check_attempts              1
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            2
        contact_groups                  dev-group
        notification_interval           70
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,c,r,u
        check_command                   check_fresh_crit
        }

Now, as far as I know, this should never do an active check, but should
give me a critical after one minute if it does not receive a passive
check.  I'm not getting this critical.

Has anyone been able to make this work, or am I simply doing something
wrong?

Feel free to shun me if I missed something in my searches. :)

- Dave