NSClient++ (Early ßeta release)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Feb 16 10:40:34 CET 2005

Michael Medin wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I just spent some time adding a project on source forge
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/nscplus) for a program I wrote about
> a year ago. The program is a simple NSClient clone written in C++ for
> W32 (obviously). It has most of the feature of NSClient (at least I
> think so). Some of the features are untested and to put it plainly I
> haven't used the program nor NSClient for over a year and don't even
> recall exactly the status of things. But I promised I would release
> it as open source a few months back. Unfortunately the process took a
> bit more time than I thought but here it is.
>
> The main difference between NSClient and NSClient++ is;
>
> 1, It is modularized and has plug-in support
>
> 2, It is written in C++ and should (haven't really looked into it
> though) be fairly lightweight. It is also a straight W32 API
> application meaning it does not have any third party dependencies
> (apart from STLPort which is statically linked, and can be removed as
> MS STL works just as fine) like MFC etc.
>
> 3, It also features (though this is as of yet unsupported, as I
> haven't written any *nix client yet) a Windows EventLog Checker.
>
> 4, I think it should be compatible with most NT-base (as it uses
> threads, mutexes and such w9x might be off?) versions of Windows.
> (NSClient might have been this but I had a lot of problems with PDH
> library dependences).
>

> The modularization is in the form of DLLs that are loaded on start-up
> and have a pretty simple and straight forward API. Thus it should
> make it quite simple to write a module that does pretty much anything
> if there is any interest. (Also as modules are external they can be
> provided as third party extensions as well as toggled off to provide
> a minimalist resource footprint)
>

> Future plans are (if there is an interest):
>
> Modules for:
>
> * SSL (need to read up on the subject first).

It's fairly straightforward. I believe there are win32 ports of openssl
(or the likes). Look at SSL-enabled plugins if you're curious about
simple SSL functionality, and openssh if you're interested in advanced
features (PKE and such).

> * Event log (already there but not finished).
>
> * Scripting support (would be I think simple to allow scripts to be
> written in some language and executed (much like Nagios).

This would be nice. If it could be made compatible with check_nrpe and
bind both ports if told to support the feature I think it would be made
really useful.

> * Passive checking (is this really useful, haven't ever used it
> myself)
>

> But the big question is: is there any need for this?

Perhaps, and perhaps not. I'm a firm believer in touching the monitored
objects as little as possible. It seems an additional scheduler running
on the host can never be a good thing.

> A year ago I wrote it because NSClient broke our exchange server. And
> a few weeks ago I refactored parts of it to support modules and wrote
> a module for the event log (because I wanted to check the windows
> event log). But I think that SNMP is much simpler and works better in
> mixed environments. So personally I don't really see much demand for
> a "NSClient:ish" plug-in but I don't really know. Secondly there is
> NC_net (which I personally am not to keen on as I dislike the whole
> .NET concept, but that's a passing issue).

I second that.

> So is there an interest?

Definitely. If I knew anything about windows programming I would help.

> Should I continue to write this (apart from the event log monitoring
> module that I need). I would like to get feedback on this so I know
> what to do about it, but regardless of that issue the program will
> become "production stable" and get an event log as that is what I
> need.
>

> As for when to expect anything from this project?
>
> As of now (well my SF skills broke everything) the project should (in
> extreme theory) be a drop in replacement for NSClient barring two
> (IIRC) features (I think it was file age and something more along
> those lines). But proc, service, mem, disk, uptime, version, etc is
> there.
>
> I will spend the next weekend and some spare time working on this
> (don't want to do to much of this during work hours as we have a
> tight schedule now, with a deploy of a few new servers) so perhaps
> Monday for a "production version" (expect bugs but should be stable).
> This includes the Event log plug-in (with a client).
>
> Something to test and feel it out will be available tonight (GMT+1).
>
>> From this point on it all depends on the interest and/or feedback
>> from testers and ideas.

I'll get back to you with those as soon as we've got anything to report.
The module API sounds very interesting.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer