NC_Net v2.15 - New Version (with Perfomance counter FIX)

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 07:44:07 CET 2005

The CONFIG command in NC_Net - is only capable of changing NC_Net
parameters that were initially set durring the parsing of the
startup.cfg.

This feature was added primarily as a mechanism for testing NC_Net, as
well as giving it a mechanism for changing certain variables durring
the setup phase of a new Host.  For instance if the Host name of the
Windows server was to change in Nagios Config, this command would
enable a mechanism for pushing the change to NC_Net via an active
check. Another use of CONFIG command is if the address or port of
either passive or active checks was to be changed.  This may happen in
a distributed nagios environment. Also, NC_Net can be configured at
startup to reject these commands.

I am not sure how I would be able to add non-plaintext authentication
scheme to this command at this time.  How would this be implemented
into check_nt? because check_NT uses plain only.

I do understand the concerns about random host reconfiguration, but I
have also had requests for minimizing the necessity of logging onto
the windows host once NC_Net has been installed. besides, I had a need
for changing configuration dynamically and I added the capabilities of
this command for my own testing using the test console tool.  I
figured I might as well make the command available  via Check_nt as
well.
The lock_active_config parameter was added to help with this balance.
NC_Net will reject any NC_Net reconfiguration command sent via active
check port if lock_actice_config is set to true.  I will make sure in
future releases of NC_Net that this option is set by default so that
NC_Net system config changes via check_nt  are locked out unless this
option is explicitly changed in the startup.cfg of the NC_Net or
locally via passive.cfg. -- passive.cfg also has a lock parameter that
will remain false (open) in the startup, allowing for NC_Net config
changes by adding to the passive.cfg.

The next enhancement that was going to be implemented was the ability
to push  new passive check commands into NC_Net passive check queue
(the passive check queue is actually the passive.cfg file).  So
basically using check_Nt   and a new option added to the service
check, Check_nt would send the check to be added to the passive check
queue instead of running the check as an active check.

Thanks you for the comments.
Tony