Nagios/NSCA/Munin Integration

Jørgen Birkhaug jorbir at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 18:13:32 CET 2005

Munin (third party monitoring software) is successfully sending alerts
to nagios.cmd via NSCA, but I'm still (after having read just about
everything about volatile services that I can find) having problems
getting the Nagios Daemon to react upon passive service alerts written
to nagios.cmd by NSCA.

nagios.cmd might contain:

EXTERNAL COMMAND:
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;kang.os.ergo.no;df;2;Filesystem usage (in
%):CRITICALs: /mnt/media is 100.00 (outside range [:98]).

shortly followed by message stating that the service 'df' could not be
found by Nagios.

Sorry for yet again bringing up syntax questions regarding passive
alerts, but how do I correctly define a service that will pick up
alerts written to nagios.cmd?

My services.cfg contains:

define service {
        name                          munin
        register                        0
        service_description       munin_alert
        is_volatile                     1
        check_command           check-host-alive
        active_checks_enabled   0
        passive_checks_enabled 1
        max_check_attempts      1
        normal_check_interval     1