Nagios and SQL databases

Paul Bourgeau psbourgeau at mpccorp.com
Wed Feb 9 21:06:19 CET 2005

I tried to search, but I did not see anything dealing with exactlly what I needed.  I know that you are able to monitor TCP ports, services and drive utilization, but I wanted to know how (if at all) to set up Nagios to monitor SQL databases themselves.  I am currently watching the SQL server services (mssql), but that's it.

Can you monitor each individual database(size of, activity, health, etc..)?
Can you monitor who accesses the databases, number of users?

I'm guessing that I just need to add entries to the checkcommand.cfg file with SQL OID's, right?  Or is there a bit more to setup?

I am running ver 1.2 on redhat 8 (2.4.18-19.8.0)  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Disclaimer: 9/2/2005

MPC Computers is providing the following information in compliance with federal regulations:

MPC Computers, LLC
906 E. Karcher Road
Nampa, Idaho 83687
1-888-224-4247
http://www.mpccorp.com

To discontinue receiving e-mail communications from MPC in the future, please go to:
http://www.mpccorp.com/email/manage.html and follow the instructions.